Specific Goal: I would like to teach the audience how to care for an autistic child.
I. How many of you plan to have or already have children?
Thesis Statement: Autism in children is more prevalent in the United States now than in the recent past.
I. What is Autism?
A. Key Indicators
1. does not babble, point or make meaningful gestures by one year of age
2. does not speak one word by sixteen months
3. does not combine two words by two years
4. does not respond to name
5. loses language or social skills
6. poor eye contact
7. doesn’t seem to know how to play with toys
8. excessively lines up toys or other objects
9. doesn’t smile
10. at times seams to be hearing impaired (National Institute of Mental Health)
B. Types of Autism (more common in males than females)
1. Low-Functioning Autism
2. Rett Syndrome (more common in females than males)
3. Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
4. Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified
5. Asperger’s Syndrome
C. Other Disorders
1. Epilepsy or other seizure disorders
3. Anxiety Disorder
4. Childhood Depression
5. Central Audio Processing Delays
6. Physical Delays
7. ADD, ADHD, or Bi-polar Disorders
1. 10 times more prevalent than 20 years ago (one in every 166)
2. More common in children than diabetes, spinal bifida, and down syndrome
3. Percentages of those afflicted with Autism rose by 556% in the 90’s alone
(Once the type of Autism has been diagnosed, we can start treatments.)
I. Autism is on the rise in the United States.
I. Attwood, Dr. Tony. “Albert Einstein, Andy Kaufman, and Andy Warhol: The Controversial Disorder They May Have Shared.” Biography Magazine. Dec. 2003: 86-88,114.
II. “Autism.” ASHA. May 1994: 83.
III. “Autism Study Branded ‘Poor Science’.” Reuters. 23 Feb. 2004 <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4352771/print/1/displaymode/1098/>
IV. Cowley, Geoffrey. “Understanding Autism.” Newsweek. 31 July 2000: 46-54.
V. National Institute of Mental Health. Autism Spectrum Disorders (Pervasive Developmental Disorders. <http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/autism.cfm>
VI. Niebelski, Dr. Andrzej L. Personal Interview. 13 Sep. 2005.